Whether it’s bedroom, bathroom, living, room or dining area, your windows usually play a vital, eye-catching, as well as practical role, in the overall interior design scheme of your room - if not sometimes even the centrepiece! – so, getting it right is important. So what do you go for..... curtains or blinds? If it’s a bathroom, kitchen or living room that you’re purchasing for, the window treatment is unlikely to be the most expensive part of your budget compared to big ticket item such as bathtubs, sofas or kitchen appliances, but, is still something that you won’t be planning to change or replace frequently so getting it right and making the right choices is still an important consideration.
Narrowing down your choice
You’ll be spoilt for choice with the myriad of window treatment ideas available today, but one of the best ways to start narrowing down the choice is to decide whether you want to put curtains or blinds at your windows......or maybe both??? Your decision may largely depend on personal choice or preference and you may already have a clear idea whether you want curtains or blinds. Maybe you’re just a curtains person at heart and wouldn’t normally even entertain the idea of blinds because they’re just not dressy enough for you? Maybe you’re a minimalist at heart and its blinds, blinds, blinds all the way for you for simplicity an ease of use?
The effect of window dressings
But if you’re not sure, then it’s well worth considering that what you do at your windows can instantly update, enhance or dramatically change a room, even if you’re not doing a full re-fit or re-vamp. Adding a stylish pair of curtains for example can add a volume of colour, texture and pattern; or simply bring a colour scheme together to create a well thought out and finished look. At the same time, blinds can add colour and texture and still create an eye catching focal point, but very often with more of a practical edge.
Your decision may have to be directed by practical considerations such as how much space you’ve got to play with around your windows, which way your windows open or even simply the size of your budget?
Considering your optionsIt’s well worthwhile considering what you are trying to achieve in the room and then, where possible to choose something that’s going to work well in the space and give you the look you’re after. So here’s a some useful questions to ask yourself to help you on your way to making that decision and choosing what is right for you and your home – curtains or blinds?
- Or maybe a little of both?
- Are you after a new style – maybe you want to make an impact with something a little different to the look that you usually go for, something impressive and eye-catching that will be an important focal or even talking point in the room?
- Are you looking for practically – something to just provide privacy or blackout, or to suit a moist environment maybe?
- Do you want to use your window treatment to inject a burst of colour or pattern into an otherwise neutral or bland colour scheme?
- Or, do you need the solution to be more neutral so you can change your furnishings or accessories more frequently without having to replace the curtains or blinds?
- Are you trying to keep a room cosy in the evening, are you trying to diffuse strong sunlight in a conservatory, or blackout a child’s bedroom maybe?
- Do you need to protect valuable paintings or antiques from sun damage, or maybe prevent fading on other furnishings, carpets and flooring?
- Do you need to keep a very sunny room cool and dim or keep the coldest and drafty-est room in the house warm and insulated, or add a small degree of sound proofing from the road traffic maybe?
- Do you need privacy for a large, overlooked, patio or do you need to keep as much natural light as possible at a small window with a poor light source?
Taking a few minutes to ask yourself questions like these, considering carefully the room’s purpose and what you need to achieve with your curtains or blinds, will undoubtedly help you to make the right product choice (even if it’s not what you initially thought) ensuring that you find the right solution for your windows and get the most from your curtains or blinds.
We’re all about blinds at Blinds Hut, so if you’ve decided you’re going for blinds then you’ll find a varied and an extensive range of high-quality, made to measure blinds all under one roof; along with all the helpful advice and direction that you need to measure, order and install them. If you’re still not sure whether to go for curtains or blinds...... then why not have both? Or, take a look at our helpful guide ‘The Benefits of Blinds’ >
In Same Category
Related by Tags
- Seaside styling: How to add a nautical theme to your bathroom using window blinds
- Pretty in pink: a guide to pink window blinds
- I want to install blinds in my office space: which type should I choose?
- How to order a window blind online at Blinds Hut
- How to modernise your home using geometric blinds
- How to give your bedroom a French inspired makeover by using window blinds
- How to create a safari theme in a child’s bedroom
- How to bring nature indoors by using floral window blinds
- How to accessorise with grey window blinds
- How do I keep my blinds protected from damage caused by dogs, cats and other pets?
- How coloured window blinds can help to aid sleep
- A guide to the latest window blind colour trends
- A guide to choosing the right blinds for winter
- 6 beautiful ways to use blue window blinds
- 5 window blinds influenced by New York city living
- 5 white window blinds that you’ll want in your home
- 5 blinds that will help maximise natural lighting in your home
- I want blinds for my bathroom: What should I consider?
- How to use curtains with blinds to block out light
- How to fit a blind to a skylight
- Fabric, venetian or wooden blinds: Which one is right for me?
- The benefits of blinds
- How do I decide whether to have curtains or a blind at my windows?
- Should I go for ready-made or made to measure blinds?
- How to measure windows for blinds: Roller, roman, vertical and venetian
- What to consider when looking for blackout blinds
- How to re-vamp your office using window blinds
- How to repair venetian and roller blinds mechanisms
- How to know when it’s time to replace your blinds
- How to create the illusion of height and width with striped window blinds
- How to create a vintage cottage feel with window blinds
- How to choose a blind on a tight budget
- How to add colour to your kitchen with window blinds
- Add a touch of sophistication to your bedroom with patterned blinds
- Tools and equipment for installing window blinds
- Roman, Roller or Venetian- What style of blind should I go for?
- I’m on a tight budget, are there any ready made blinds that I can customize to fit my window?
- I want a modern and minimalistic look, what kind of blinds would achieve this?
- I have toddlers and I’m concerned about the health and safety issues with the cords on blinds, what can I do?